On about July 21, 2010, Governor Crist issued Executive Order 10-169, which authorizes the Property Appraiser’s offices in counties affected by the Deepwater Horizon spill, which includes the coastal counties of the Tampa Bay area, to provide taxpayers with an interim assessment for claims purposes only.
- You may use the interim assessment to substantiate a claim to BP or any of the parties responsible.
- The date of the interim assessment can be any time in 2010 after your county was affected by the oil spill.
- You may use other methods for establishing losses to your real property.
- You may not appeal interim assessments produced by property appraisers.
- You may not use the interim assessment as evidence if you are appealing a 2010 or prior year’s assessment to the value adjustment board.
For more information see the Florida Department of Revenue’s Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Guidance for Taxpayers or contact your local Property Appraiser’s office.